J. Charles Dougherty
Chuck Dougherty's practice is focused on intellectual property and technology issues. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications, federal and state trademark registration applications and copyright registration applications. For those clients with international portfolios, he oversees and coordinates foreign filings with local counsel in appropriate jurisdictions. He also assists clients with licensing and other issues related to the protection of their intellectual property. In addition, he represents clients in adversarial matters involving intellectual property, including opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, litigation matters in federal and state courts and domain name arbitration proceedings administered through ICANN.
Some of Dougherty's more recent experience includes:
- Intellectual property counsel and portfolio manager for one of the world's largest marketing services company.
- Intellectual property counsel for several universities and colleges.
- Trademark counsel for a charitable foundation with worldwide operations.
- Intellectual property counsel for a large, regional electric utility provider.
- Trademark counsel for a leading national food products company.
- Patent and trademark counsel for numerous start-up companies in various technological fields, including software, nanotechnology and biomedical applications.
Dougherty has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in both the Intellectual Property and Technology Law sections each year since 2007. He is a frequent speaker and writer on the subject of intellectual property law and related technology issues.
Dougherty is a member of the American Bar Association, the Arkansas Bar Association and the Pulaski County Bar Association. Dougherty is a past president of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Arkansas Bar Association. He is also a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Dougherty was named a Mid-South Super Lawyer in 2013 and 2014 in the area of Intellectual Property and recognized by Best Lawyers since 2007 in Copyright Law, Patent Law, Technology Law - IP, Licensing and Trademark Law. He has received an AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating through LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, www.martindale.com/ratings.