Class Action, Mass Tort, and Multidistrict Litigation
Practice Area Info
Wright Lindsey Jennings provides innovative, aggressive advocacy to defend our clients in class action, mass tort, and multi-district litigation. Our attorneys are involved in a wide range of complex litigation arising under both state and federal laws, including marketing and consumer claims, lending and collection practices, products liability, insurance disputes, drug and medical devices, toxic and mass torts, and many other areas.
We understand the key legal issues—procedural and substantive—that arise in these cases, permitting us to formulate a sophisticated defense tailored to each case and each client’s individual needs. We coordinate intensive discovery in class action and MDL proceedings, identifying and producing relevant documents while protecting privileged materials from disclosure. We also identify and prepare witnesses, including experts, to testify on issues at every stage of the litigation, from class certification to trial. We are well-prepared to challenge, attack, and defeat specious expert testimony offered by the other side.
Recognizing the extraordinary expense such cases pose for our clients, we work in conjunction with our paralegal and support staff to use the latest litigation support technology to reduce litigation costs and maximize efficiency, particularly in the often-difficult area of e-discovery.
The proof is in our record of success in numerous class actions, of which the following provide merely a sample:
- Defeated class certification and obtained summary judgment in a multistate class action seeking the rescission of easements for an 850-mile long interstate crude oil pipeline and the removal of the pipeline.
- Defeated certification of a class under the Arkansas Minimum Wage Act seeking payment of unpaid overtime.
- Defeated certification of nationwide and Arkansas-only classes in a consumer fraud class action alleging false advertising in the marketing of multivitamins, resulting in the plaintiff accepting an offer of judgment in the amount of $25.00 plus costs on her individual claim in a case where disgorgement of substantial profits was sought
- Won dismissal at the pleading stage of a nationwide class action alleging that another line of multivitamins was falsely advertised.
- Defended nationwide and state-wide proposed class action against a sandwich restaurant alleging false advertising in the marketing of six-inch and twelve-inch sandwiches that were allegedly shorter than the advertised lengths.
- Defeated plaintiff’s motion for conditional certification of a proposed collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act based on her failure to establish her job position was similar to those who would make up the proposed class.
- Mediated and settled a class action on favorable terms involving motor vehicle document fees charged to consumers in the purchase of automobiles, taking over the case from another law firm late in the litigation and assisting in the administration of the settlement.
- Won summary judgment in a multi-state class action alleging that a large, national equipment rental company fraudulently charged customers a “rental protection fee” without their approval.
- Defended MDL proceeding against a major agricultural company in multimillion dollar negligence cases.
- Defended a document preparation fee class action against a major Arkansas title company and obtained a judgment for our client on its counterclaim against the plaintiffs.
- Defended several class actions against retailers for their use of “flash cookies” on their websites.
- Defended athletic shoe manufacturer against proposed state-wide class actions involving claims of false advertising of “toning” shoes.
- Defended proposed national and state class action against a national bank for alleged breach of contract, deceptive trade practices, and fraud arising from charges to customers related to garnishments and other process.
This proven record of success in complex litigation continues, as we currently represent a host of clients from numerous industries in various pending class actions in state and in federal court.